Friday, August 03, 2007

Physicality

Writers are often typified as sedentary creatures, and usually for good reason. Writing entails, at the very least, several hours a day sitting and writing, which while it may be argued as mental gymnastics, does not exactly entail a huge calorie burn. Growing up, I tried to use the notion of writing as a way to excuse myself from the need to exercise, and my mother replied that a single peanut contained enough energy to write Hamlet. I question the validity of that statement, but there is a kernel of truth there. The physical act of writing isn't usually a sweaty grunting effort.

That being said, I have begun to theorize the notion that good thinking requires a clean strong flow of blood. In that regard, I have started an intense physical regimen in order to see if a good fitness results in improved writing.

Further bulletins as events warrant.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: