Wednesday, November 21, 2007

August Rush

This movie presents something of an enigma to me. It's quite a bit of trash in many respects, and the lead boy actor is awful. The movie is heavy handed and about as subtle as a sledgehammer, but for some reason, it had a profound effect on me. I found myself nearly in tears over the hugely contrived story. Story? It's a fairy tale, with a simple innocent main character who has a strong action which isn't deviated from. The boy, August, is never appears to doubt the veracity of his parents existence or their desire for him. We, as the audience, are privvy to that fact, watching as the parents feel the pangs of separation, and an almost equal desire to find the child. The two antagonists are also equally transparent in both their evil intents and desires. The music in this particular tale was weilded as magic, and I have to admit that the music was indeed magical.
Perhaps the reason there was such a profound effect on me was the music. It was pervasive and powerful, and, I believe, when you give in to it, it can sweep you away.
As this is primarily about writing, here's a moment to talk about that. I found the story should have started later than it did. I was interested in the mother and the son, but the father's journey as a rock star just didn't hold my attention as well. The dialogue was weak at its best, and usually felt clunky and contrived. Worth seeing for the music, but ultimately, you will be disappointed by that silly boy.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

proofread?

Spencer said...

I have found the same on occassion while watching a movie. The story or other aspects of the movie are terrible, but hte music still manages to make me love the movie. I believe it was Time Machine, where the music was quite enjoyable, made the movie exciting, but the movie was not well done.