Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A short thought on villains

This blog certainly is a ramshackle affair, but I hope it is entertaining. I'll continue writing these elements of how to, merely because I believe that teaching is a great way to learn. However, I think I'm going to expand the content here. Writing is about more than just craft, it's about reality and irreverence and a whole lot more. Ultimately, it has to be about life and the world, or, at least, a reaction to what we see around us.

That said, here's my thought on villains for the day. I think the key tenet to a truly great villain is the moment of empathy that allows you to see that the villain does not consider himself (or herself) a villain. They firmly believe what they are doing is for the betterment of their world. And to me, that's the scariest damn part of it all.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: