Saturday, November 08, 2008

Saturday

Time: 1039
Location: Starbucks on 6th Ave and 21 St, Manhattan
Mood: fair to hopeful, with gusts into happiness
Weather: cool and Grey, but warmer than average

Grandfather,

Today, I am in the city. People around here call New York City, The City, which, in the context of this geographical area, makes sense. I am planning to visit some of the fine museums in this city today. Ideally, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Natural History Museum, and the Museum of Modern Art. Quite a large helping of Art (note the capital A), but sometimes that can be good, getting to that point where one can be overwhelmed by the creativity of others, and you can stop judging yourself and let loose on the canvas of your choice.

In terms of being creative, I am having some difficulty putting this puppet show together, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to make it coalesce into a state I am happy with. The prospect of toy theatre has increased in me, when I first began thinking of it, I was a little put off. Moving things about a miniature stage? It seems a little ridiculous, but what about theatre doesn't have a hint of the ludicrous about it, that generally seems to be the art and theatre that most attracts and compels me. As I get more into things, I start to see the potential in it, and just wish I had the time and resources to take things to the level that I can see in my mind, not to mention the general construction and engineering skill to make things happen. I will send you some pictures of the theatre I built tomorrow, in order that you might have a better understanding of this undertaking.

In terms of classes, life is good. Maybe even grand. I am truly challenged by eighty percent of my classes, and find myself engaged in the ideas we discussed in class outside of class too. In particular, we had a rousing debate on the definition and quality of "Art". What is Art? Is such a difficult question to answer. Can one categorize art as inherently good or bad? Does Art require a meaning identifiable across multiple people? Does the author/creator's intent matter? I mean, ultimately these are personal answers, that will likely differ between each and every person. I know that I am still in a state where I cannot provide a concrete answer to any of those questions, and I find that as I experience more and see more and make more, I am increasingly unable to put together a solid answer.

Hope all is well over there on the Left.

Love,
Eric

No comments: