Sunday, August 12, 2007

"The Host"

I can't quite think of a film that has made me as bored as this one.

It's a shame, too, as I really had some high hopes for it. From the previews, it looked like the kind of movie I seem to like a lot, the horror comedy.

While the special effects, to be more specific, the creature effects, were stunning, there seemed to be exceedingly poor pacing and continuous incongruities within the world that had been created.

And that, my friends, brings about a topic which preys heavily on my mind, and that is the notion of reality. How far do writers need to extend the boundaries of reality, of believability? The actions of the mutated creature in "The Host" seemed to be incongruent with the manner I thought a creature should act. It just didn't make sense. I believe, if you, or me or one, is proposing a world that is NOT this one, then the world needs to abide by the rules one establishes.
The confusion, in part, comes when the two worlds, the new world and the "real" world, exist along very close lines. The ultimate moment of this comes, for me, in the movie "Resident Evil". An elite group of soldiers comes crashing through some windows, all decked out in gear and gasmasks. Right before they enter the contaminated facility, the soldiers remove their masks. Now, I understand the concept of the director wanting the audience to see the actors... But in terms of the movie, it makes no sense. Why would the soldiers remove their protective gear going into the dangerous area? It violates the reality of the film. At least to me.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: