Monday, August 06, 2007

"School For Scandal"

Not an amazing piece of literature. Or maybe it was. I got bogged down by the laborious story and thick language. I'm spoiled, I like concise snappy dialogue from contemporary comedies and sitcoms. I did laugh a few times. I read v3 of School for Scandal, which, as far as my limited research told me, was rather tamed down in terms of the arguments between the married couple.

The comedy of manners is a strange little slice of genre, and, like "El Cid" is difficult to fully comprehend in this contemporary climate. I feel, if I understood more about the time period, I would have a larger appreciation for this work.

Comedies are a subjective medium. The same things aren't funny to everyone. I think that's why tragedies manage to translate across time and cultures easier. The majority of people find cruelty to animals or small children sad, or seeing a loved one hurt or die. BUT, not everyone thinks it's funny when a pie hits a socialite in the face.

No comments: