Wednesday, August 08, 2007

This was an interesting weekend, in which I received my first flight from my Uncle. He's a professional pilot, though mainly a flight instructor. It was a wonderful little adventure, darting about the skies, and feeling the air drafts buffeting the plane about. That, and going from the high mountains to the Oregon coast in a remarkably short time. Ski and Surf...

That being said, it was difficult being around the man because he doesn't see much worth in pursuing the arts. I am proud to be going into an MFA program, and to be having a reading in NY. He belittled me for being twenty-seven and heading into more schooling. I think he'd be happier if I was heading into a fire training program to be a firefighter... I've often thought of being a firefighter, and I am amazed and appreciative of the work they do.

Would that be better? Would I be worth more to society as a firefighter than a writer? Than a theatremaker? It's times like these that I wonder if society needs art. Perhaps that's a clear designation that I am not a true artist. Or maybe it's because my family and my circle is not art based. My family, truth be told, has its history in the military and in medicine. I am the first member of my family to strike out into the arts.

I don't know. I feel this is both what I want to do and what I should be doing. My father tells me it's the puritan work ethic, burning into my head the notion that the sciences are the only facet of academia worth study. But is it?

Hey kids, play nice out there.

No comments: