Saturday, July 26, 2008

Stagedoor Manor

This is a very interesting documentary. I highly advise all people looking for a life in theatre or living a life in theatre, to take a peek.

"Where are all those people who move chairs?"

There is such an emphasis on the styles of theatre that are so godawful. But can we expect our children to cut their teeth on Beckett and Ionesco? Simpler theatre for youth, perhaps. But when and where can we show them that "Mame" is not the bee knees of theatre? Is that the function of college? I will say that, should I ever get the honor of teaching younger children about stagecraft, I promise to push the envelope and not put musicals above everything else.

This is the appropriate time to unleash a little secret. I like musicals. There is so much power in the combination of live music and live acting. A person singing right in front of you is capable of such powerful emotion. I think, perhaps, the contemporary musicals are not being responsible in their themes or topicality. I mean, "Legally Blonde", really? Or even more frightening, "Spiderman: the musical." Apparently coming soon, helmed by Julie Taymor, to replace the juggernaught of "Young Frankenstein". Dear Lord, where are we headed.

But that still leaves the key question of the day, how can we teach theatre to the youth sans the elemental problems of the theatre of the dead. The theatre of the undead. The shuffling decay of pointless trivial theatre, where Broadway is held up as the pinnacle of American Theatre... How do we lead them to see the need for invigorating stimulating theatre?

Sometimes I feel I'm not equipped to answer the questions I ask. But isn't that a sign of wanting more? Of reaching out for greater knowledge?

I hope so.

1 comment:

JESSICA TAGHAP said...

Hey, I saw Legally Blonde during its MTV airing, and it's not that bad. 'Twas quite funny, actually.

Wait -- I'd about Spiderman: The Musical, but didn't know of the Julie Taymor involvement! Well, all I have to say is that if it's half as cute as the little play in the Snow Patrol (I think it was them?) video for the third movie's soundtrack, then I think it'll be a hit.