Saturday, August 02, 2008

Where did Noir go?

It is amazing how good Veronica Mars is. I almost can't handle the fact that the season and series is over. I found it a refreshing island of something new in the world of story telling. Noir, in my mind, is one of the most fascinating arenas of storytelling, and I love it.

There's just something so..... Deep about it. So painful. The noir hero is so conflicted and broken. They/he/she make mistakes and feel the terrible consequences of the choices they make. Sex and violence are bosom buddies. Everyone betrays everyone, and the secrets are deep and deadly.

And contemporary noir! How much potential can there be! There's so much perceived danger, paranoia, it's incredible, and unexploited.

It would seem to me, Noir has had a cultish following in recent years, but hasn't really seen a deep cultural popularity since its birth in the post-war years. So why? Every once in a while, some noir tale pops up and is lavished with praise and delight. I mean, I'm a little biased. I love noir.

My question for this evening is: how can we, and I use the pejorative we lightly to imply those of us playing in the theatrical sandbox, harness Noir for plays?

Tomorrow, I will take a bit of time to write out some of the characteristics that define noir to me, and in the following posts, I will see if I can explore how stage plays might romp in this gleefully dark genre.

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I am also a big, big fan of noir and I agree that it has a lot of places to go in contemporary narrative. I would gladly hear your thoughts on Noir. I look forward to your next post.