Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mediums

I'm not a medium. I don't speak to the dead, and if you ever meet me,
you'll notice that there isn't a last time I wore a medium. Right now,
I'm sitting in this awesome diner with a shirt on that fits loose
around the waist and stomach but tight around the chest. What cut of
shirt is this? Who is this supposed to fit well? Chicken men? What is
a chicken man? That makes no sense. I'm sorry.

I'm writing this to discuss mediums in storytelling. While I believe
that everyone has a story and can tell a story, I don't think that
every story works equally well in each medium. Certain things work as
movies, some as plays, some as novels. I think there are many tales
which fail because they've been place into a style which doesn't
accentuate the positive so much as bring about the elements which
don't work well. So how does one choose what style to write in? What
elements work for a novel but not for a play? All of these will be
explored at length in the rest of the posts this week. I will examine
the novel, the graphic novel, the screenplay and the stageplay and
disuse what I feel are the strengths and weaknesses of each form, as
well as hopefully pointing out successful examples.

If you just can't get enough of my ramblings, please follow me over at guestofaguest.com
, where I have become a regular writer for them.

Final bit of news, I've been working as a PA/driver for a Tollywood
film (think Bollywood but based in southern India and the Tamil
language). It has been an eye opening and hair tearing experience. I
will probably write about it later when I have a bit more distance.

No comments: