Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bedtime thoughts

I am laying here in this warm bed, wondering what the hell is going on.

The power has been fluctuating between two positions. On and off, and its right annoying, especially as I am in the middle of a movie.

I am watching (attempting to watch) the movie "Waitress) which I am quite enjoying, but it raises two questions to me. One, how will this movie resolve to a happy ending (which a dear person has assured me it does) and two, is there a current trend of films/theatre/stories in which there is a moral justification for otherwise immoral actions?

The case here being adultery. Granted, as I write this, there has long been a Western tradition of glorifying violence, so perhaps moral justification for immoral acts is not a new concept. Fair enough. But, where are the moral lines drawn in story telling? Am I responsible, as an author for the actions I allow the protagonist to get away with? For the view that I take? Is it my view, or can I argue that the actions are those of the characters in the story?

All of which brings about the question of morality.... Is there a justification for any action? In the case of Waitress, does Keri Russells character have a justification for cheating on her incredibly atrocious husband? I mean, clearly, absolutely clearly a jerk in every stereotypical way... So much so that its a bit difficult to imagine how she could have married him in the first place. Say what you will about Stanley, but he has his moments, is great in bed and (especially when played by Marlon Brando) is one fine man. This Earl is a poorly disguised stereotype in an otherwise heavily dimensioned film.

There we go. The power is back on and let's see if we are able to finish the film.

*****SPOLIERS BELOW*****

The film has ended, and it did indeed have a happy enough ending. I mean, there wasn't a sense of closure for the relationship between the doctor and Jenna (keri russell). And isn't the doctor almost as "bad" as Earl for the manner he treated his wife? It's almost as if by not telling his wife about the affair, the damage is not done. I cry foul.

The characters of the two romantic leads were well flushed out, and I really enjoyed the banter between them. There was a genuine sense of comedy there, especially when the cliched response was given, the thrown out. A technique the male actor (also in Firefly (the captain therein) Scuz help me out))) seems to have perfected.

Okay, goodnight folks.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: