Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Let me begin with the blatant admission that I love Indiana Jones. He
was an iconic figure from my childhood dreams, and I have been
dreaming and hoping for more of his saga since the end of the last
film. I even, at one point, began to read the novelized versions of
the film, and got snared into reading some of the novels which dealt
with Indy's other stories. All that said, I'm not in the leagues of
many of the superfanboys out there.

Bias acknowledged, on to the review. The film was pure spectacle. That
might be what you're looking for. Not me. Boiling it down for you, if
you really enjoyed the Temple of Doom, then this flock might be a
great film for you. Me, my favorite of the original trilogy was the
Last Crusade, which had a great blend of true story telling and
special effects wizardry. This latest entry into the series could have
used more in the story department because I'm pretty sure George Lucas
spent most of his time dreaming up new and zany ways to have Indy
fight this new selection of the eponymous and free to hate enemy.
Soviets.

The films from the past (and I am not speaking in general terms of all
films from the past, but films in the Jones series) there has been a
heady deviation from reality, clearly magical realism taking place,
and that's great. I loved it. This film, IJATKOTCS (not the shortest
acronym by any means), takes reality and throws it away. At times, it
feels as if Lucas got confused, and thought he was playing in his
Star Wars sandbox. The ants come to mind.

However, the acting was generally good, and I appreciated the
reincorporation of some of the characters from previous installments.
I find this notion vital for any series, whether it be on film or
television.

The basic elements of the story are pretty interesting. The
incorporation of elements of US history are quite fun.

Good film? Can't honestly say Yes. I enjoyed the romp for the most
part, but I'm not aching to see it again.

Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right on, for the most part. Except that I have to say, I loved it. Every stupid moment, I just loved it. Even the completely ridiculous nuclear testing scene, even THAT, I loved.

I didn't love the aliens. I didn't buy it the way I bought all the other crazy Indiana Jones endings (my favorite being the flesh-melty of "Raiders"). Maybe it's because I saw them when I was a kid and more prone to believing whatever they showed me, but even now... I can get behind a world where God -- however he appears -- does exist, and so does everything that goes along with him. But God AND Aliens? Well, now he's just gone too far.