Friday, May 23, 2008

Iron Man

Okay, so I'm a little late on writing this review, but one might argue
it's a miracle I'm writing up all the movies and plays I've been
reading/writing/seeing.

Iron Man was a good film to open up the summer movie season. It had
good special effects, witty one liners, and a charismatic lead
character.

I thought there were some areas to be improved, the first being the
removal of Gwynneth Paltrow, who was, in my opinion, the weakest of
the bunch.

The story. I'm not exactly familiar with the source material, so I
can't really lay claims on either its originality or its veracity.
It's rather riddled with cliches, but nothing that breaks the
proverbial bank, so to speak.

The villains were largely stock. I didn't care about them, or
sympathize with their plight.

See, this brings up an interesting question, the question of the
villain. Who can they be, who are the best villains? What elements do
they contain? Do they have similar components? That, indeed, will most
certainly be a future topic of this blog. Perhaps it will be something
I work on outside of the blog and bring a real researched essay on to
near on this topic. For now, play well, write something, and click on
some ads to make me some money.

Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Hey Man, Sorry I didn't call you back Yesterday. Moving is just plain crazy. Trying to get the house in order and my brain has been fried. Not that helps with all the other times I haven't called back.

I wanted to write after I saw your Blog update and say that Villains have always been an interesting topic in movies. Because a good villain, in my opinion, is one that is created with a certain bridge in the gap with the audience. I want to understand the villain's M.O. I want to see a logical reason for him to ape-shit and start his desperate attempt to keep his hold on control. The most believable villains are those that grew out of a normal character. Or written with the history of a once normal character. Villains can't be born evil, cause those villains are boring. At some point, that villain decided he would start being "evil". Hell, I like villains that aren't necessarily evil, just making decisions that are selfish and care little for the consequences to others.

Just my initial thoughts.